fbpx

Your member's fee helps us take actions on your behalf. HELP make a difference!

Minutes for General Meeting July 20

** Actionable Items as a result of agenda/minutes

Date:

20.07.2021

Chaired by:

Jeff Thomas

Minutes by:

Peter Butler

Meeting Commenced:

7.30pm

Apologies:

Dave Wright – Safety Officer, Chris Cobain – Treasurer

Attendance: As per attendance register. 18

Welcome Guests in Attendance:

James, Jarrod

New Members Joined:

3

Members Renewing:

3

Membership Report:

176

Previous Minutes:

As distributed to the committee and loaded to the website

Motion to accept: Peter Butler                                   Seconded: Jeff Thomas                                               Accepted:

MATTERS ARISING:

Matters Arising from Previous Minutes:

Action points from last minutes:

Constitution Update – Work in Progress – discuss in general meeting section.

REPORTS

Secretary’s Report:

Correspondence:

EMAIL:

Ride4Life newsletter by email.

Register of Members: Request by Richard Watson for the register of members on the 27 May 2021 (What this means is he wants a copy of all the MRAWA Member names). I forgot to log it here for the July meeting, Richard brought it up in the general business section. No conspiracy, we didn’t have a June general meeting, and the request wasn’t brought forward to the July general meeting, my bad.

We responded within 4 days to that request with – “We respectfully request you provide a statutory declaration stating the purpose for which the copy or extract is required and declaring that the intended purpose is connected with the affairs of the Association.”

Peter went on to explain to those present that if any attending member or committee member made that request, we would simply ask why, and are confident they’d state why. If not, then surely that should raise concerns.

Richard repeatedly stated when asked why he’d made the request, “compliance”, to make you “compliant”’, because “you’re not compliant if you don’t provide them”.

We couldn’t follow the rationale here, so when we were again asked outright would we provide the register of members, we declined.

We take our members privacy seriously, so will not provide them without even a courtesy statutory declaration outlining the rationale behind the request.

Furthermore, Richard then stated he would lodge a complaint with the Commissioner, he had previously threatened this in an email dated 7 June 2021.

Again, more energy required by volunteers that does not move the actual cause of MRAWA forward.

MAIL:

Newsletter from MRA SA – printed.

Secretary’s Report:

Meeting with Road Safety Commission:

The RSC consider MRAWA partners in as much as liaising with the MRAWA to reach motorcyclists, raise awareness for motorcyclist issues and concerns.

They also provide funding for such things as rider training, events, motorcycle forum, motorcycle safety week, etc.

Meeting with Minister for Police:

Positive meeting.

Minutes of Meeting with Paul Papalia – Minister of Police.

Present: For Minister for Police, Road Safety; Defence Industry; Veterans Issues:

  • Paul Papalia – Minister for Police, Road Safety; Defence Industry; Veterans Issues
  • Policy Adviser
  • Principal Policy Adviser

For MRAWA:

  • Gary Pontifex – Vice President
  • Peter Butler – Secretary
  • Dave Wright – Safety Officer

Agenda and Minutes below:

The MRAWA Team briefly introduced ourselves, what we did, and our roles in the MRAWA. We provided the minister and policy advisers a printed copy of our agenda, as well as the road safety report that Dave does.

Enhanced crash scene investigation – to look at how the crash happened and not just the why did it happen. Investigate the South Australian model of crash investigation who use a combined crash investigation team and not only police.

For instance we may know the motorcycle rider crashed into a tree, but what we need to understand is why the rider crashed into the tree. Was it a bad road surface, a lack of skills, a distracted rider or fatigued rider, or other influencing factors? There are many possible contributing reasons that are not investigated fully now. We need to properly understand the causal factors before we can tackle the real issues.

Paul stated he would be getting his team look at the South Australian Model and see if what they do, can add merit and be utilised, see what could be done.

Lane Filtering – much angst in the motorcycle community due to a lack of stakeholder consultation from the Road Safety Commission leading up to the public announcement of the legislative change.
RSC blindsided the MRAWA and motorcyclists with the freeway exclusion, and other law amendments.
Paul was under the impression we were all good as he’d been told that we’d been pursuing this outcome, didn’t realise the issue behind it. He put it down to the fact they’d been in caretaker mode.

He will follow up and highly recommend they operate in a more consultative manner.

He validated that the MRAWA are the representative body for motorcyclists in WA.

Peter Butler asked what will happen from here, after this meeting.

Paul went on to suggest we have quarterly meetings, between himself, MRAWA, RSC and possible other government bodies. His policy adviser will organise this and be in touch.

Lane Filtering and Driver Education – standout issue at the moment is driver education on the new lane filtering laws. The RSC have stated this is now being developed, with no consultative process with the motorcycling community. There’s a some 130,000 motorcyclists in WA. Where is the consultative process? How many riders are in the RSC, where do their ideas and concepts come from?

Paul was aware that the RSC had several driver awareness campaigns underway. Seems happy with RSC work as it seems what he sees is campaign activity.

Motorcycle riders using priority bus lanes – a one year trial was planned into the use of priority bus lanes by motorcycle riders, this turned into almost three-year trial. The Public Transport Authority through a review of this trial supported the full introduction of this practice as they had not experienced any bus movement or safety issues with the practice.

It was then recommended to the hon. Michelle Roberts by the Road Safety Commission to reject the proposal based on an old and out of touch report from Marseille, which is an old and crowded city in France and has no similarity to our roads in WA.

This was also done without any consultation without any stakeholder consultation.

Dave outlined how disappointing the outcome was, especially given the extended trial, with no incidents, yet cyclists were approved to share the bus lanes.

Again Paul stated he would expect to see a more consultative approach in the future.

This lack of stakeholder consultation is not just limited to the Road Safety Commission, but it seems to have also dropped off the radar over recent years by the Department of Transport, Main Roads Department and WA Police.

Dave discussed the possibility of getting rider training and education programs into regional areas, using funding and subsidised training.

Meeting was very positive. Rapt with Paul’s suggestion for quarterly meetings, be great to have all vested parties in the same room on a regular basis.

President’s Report:

In this report:

  • Joint Select Committee on Road Safety
  • Australian Motorcycle Council Monthly Meetings
  • Meeting with the Road Safety Commission
  • Perth Custom Motorcycle Show
  • MRAWA Constitution
  • Position Statements

Joint Select Committee on Road Safety

The MRAWA has been invited to prepare a submission for the committee’s consideration.  Building on earlier work, the committee will inquire into and report on measures that can be taken to reduce trauma and deaths on Australian roads. It will investigate and identify opportunities to improve road safety programs and relevant policy in the health, education, industry, transport and other sectors; embed road trauma prevention across agencies; and reduce road trauma in the workplace, including a focus on heavy vehicles and the gig economy.

The committee is interested in stakeholder views and invites you to make a submission to the inquiry, addressing the attached terms of reference. You are also welcome to extend this invitation to any other people or organisations that may have an interest in this issue and may wish to prepare a submission for the committee’s consideration.

Australian Motorcycle Council Monthly Meetings

It was reported at the May meeting that the AMC had moved their monthly meetings from the 2nd to the 3rd Tuesday of each week which conflicted with the MRAWA meetings.  After some consultations between the groups, the AMC monthly meetings will now be held on the 4th Tuesday of each month.

Meeting with the Road Safety Commission

A meeting was held with the RSC on the 7th July with Dave Wright, Peter Butler, Gary Pontifex and myself in attendance.  The RSC had requested a submission for the next 2 years detailing the strategy of the MRAWA to promote safer riding and rider education to help reduce the overrepresentation of motorcyclists in accidents.  Of particular concern is high incidence of single motorcycle accidents.

MRAWA Constitution

The MRAWA Constitution is currently being updated in line with the Associations Incorporation Act 2015.  All members will be notified when the document is ready to be voted on.

Position Statements

A series of position statements are being prepared that will be displayed on our website and Facebook pages.  The statements will be evidence based and include but not be limited to the MRAWA stance on such topics as:

  • Motorcycle Protective Clothing – Jackets, Pants and Gloves.
  • Protective clothing legislation.
  • Star ratings on Protective clothing
  • Lane Filtering
  • Public education for new and updated laws
  • Motorcycles in Bus Lanes
  • Motorcycle Black Spot program review
  • Advanced Rider Skills training program

Free evidence based news: Busting 5 myths about 30kmh speed limits in Australia

The next general meeting will be held on the 17th of August 2021.

Jeffrey Thomas

President

Motorcycle Riders Association of W.A. Inc.

Mobile: 0409 293 320

Ride Like Your Life Depends on It.

Vice President’s Report:

Gary gave an overview of Ride 4 Life, the type and styles of rides, several days rides, state rides, etc.

Also the culture of Ride 4 Life, connecting in with Men’s Sheds. He was active in Black Dog Ride for 2.5 years, now state coordinator for Ride 4 Life.

Gary went through upcoming rides as well, too many to list, here’s a useful link – https://www.facebook.com/groups/ride4lifewa/events

Treasurer’s Report:

NA, Treasurer was an apology.

Road Safety/AMC Report:

NA, Safety Officer was an apology.

Website Update:

1 star review

Does anyone know this guy? We have no record of any communication, does not respond, so clearly just a troll and loser!

hillz sportsbike rider | Minutes for General Meeting July 20

Social Media Update:

We did a Media Release regarding the misinformation and fake news regarding MotoCap.

https://mrawa.org/general-news/motocap-motorcycle-protective-clothing/

Stock Report:

NA

General Business:

PBF Club Membership: (Paraplegic Benefit Fund)

Clubs with at least 20 members who want to sign up we can offer the amazing price of $15 per person per annum to be a member.

Note that private membership rates are $55 per annum for singles, $80 per annum for doubles and $95 per annum for families where the kids are <18yo.  These rates will apply for subscribers/family members/friends who are NOT members of the MRAWA.  These family and friends can be directed to our website page to sign up very quickly and easily in 5 minutes: https://www.pbf.asn.au/membership/pbf-private-memberships/individuals/

MRAWA Actions Required (to make this work):

  • We need to collect the money.
  • So we need to create a product on the website with recurring annual fee of $15.
  • We then need to pass that on to PBF.
  • We then provide a list of members joined to PBF

Points to consider:

How other clubs do it –

BMW just added $15 to their annual fees so all members are covered.

Albany Classic and Vintage Motorcycle members were given an option to join.

** Peter Butler to setup:

  • new recurring payment product.
  • new web page promoting PBF product.
  • Send email broadcast to ‘members only’.

Delay in attending to this is attributed to extra time required with dealing with constitution updates and other issues.

Update on the Constitution Update:

Did survey on objection reasons to the new constitution.

Sent an email broadcast to members only.

Had 3 responses.

The status is that our constitution update is now in the hands of a lawyer.

New Topical Pages:

We get repeated questions on certain topics that warrant creating topical content pages, that we can then direct people to.

Such as:

* Bus Lane Use

* Motorcycle Parking Issue

* Wire Rope Barriers

* Lane Filtering

Pull some info from the road safety reports, post as stand-alone post, use link in social media when discussed, used in email marketing, etc.

RSC Post and communication, or lack of – https://www.rsc.wa.gov.au/Rules-Penalties/Browse/Motorcyclists

**Motorcycle Parking Issue:**

Ages ago there was the lobby to 42 odd Councils regarding motorbike parking issues, more recently parking fine help request email, even more recently a FB on MRA Group where they have reduced parking times to 1//2 hour.

We could create an info section on the website to help bikers handle these issues with relative info.

Take this across to the general meeting agenda.

**Wire Rope Barriers:**

This is another topical subject that we could add content, add links to what the RSC and Main Roads have said.

We need to be objective in that although we’ve been lobbying for this, the only reason for change is financial not safety based and we’re disappointed by that, rapt that change is happening but more needs to be done, etc.

** See Dave Wright for content for 2 subjects above.

Richard Watson queried his request for the register of members on the 27 May 2021 (He wants a copy of all the MRAWA Member names), as it was not mentioned initially in the Secretary’s section of correspondence. No conspiracy, we didn’t have a June general meeting, and the request wasn’t brought forward to the July general meeting, my bad.

We responded within 4 days to that request with – We respectfully request you provide a statutory declaration stating the purpose for which the copy or extract is required and declaring that the intended purpose is connected with the affairs of the Association.

Peter went on to explain to those present that if any attending member or committee member made that request, we would simply ask why, and are confident they’d state why. If not, then surely that should raise concerns.

Richard repeatedly stated when asked why he’d made the request, “compliance”, to make you “compliant”’, because “you’re not compliant if you don’t provide them”.

We couldn’t follow the rationale here, so when we were again asked outright would we provide the register of members, we declined.

We take our members privacy very seriously, so will not provide them without even a courtesy statutory declaration outlining the rationale behind the request.

Furthermore, Richard then stated he would lodge a complaint with the Commissioner, he had previously threatened this in an email dated 7 June 2021.

Again, more energy required by volunteers that detracts from getting on with tasks that actually help the MRAWA move forward.

Simon Water’s stated there was discrepancy in information regarding CE Certification and MotoCap provided in the Media Release on MotoCap, regarding CE Certification – https://mrawa.org/general-news/motocap-motorcycle-protective-clothing/ – I didn’t understand what he actually thought the discrepancy was.

The committee was queried why we’d removed certain people, from the MRAWA Facebook page and group, some members even.

Response: We have no problems on questions, varying points of view or the like, there are plenty of previous challenging comments, but continuous repeated untrue posts and responses will be considered troll like, and will be deleted, along with that account user.

Upcoming Events:

Ride 4 Life rides – https://www.facebook.com/groups/ride4lifewa/events

Rides Report:

SUN, 13 JUN

Breakfast Ride to Toodyay

SUN, 11 JUL

Jarrahdale Brunch Ride

Next Meeting:

General Meeting: August 17 2021

Meeting Closed:

8.28pm

 

 

Share the Knowledge
Posted in

Peter Butler

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top