The annual Ride Your Motorcycle to Work Day will be held on Wednesday October 26th 2016. Riders are encouraged to ride their motorcycle or scooter on this day to demonstrate:
- The number of motorcyclists to the general public and to our politicians.
- That motorcyclists are from all occupations and all walks of life.
- That motorcyclists can reduce traffic and parking congestion in large cities.
- That motorcycle’s are for transportation as well as recreation.
- That motorcycling is a social good.
This event can more than triple the number of riders on some roads. Most motorcycle and scooter clubs and organizations encourage riders to commute by motorcycle or scooter on this day. Riders seek employer recognition and support for this form of transportation and increased public and government awareness of the societally positive benefits of utility riding.
Adding motorcycles and scooters helps traffic flow better. Studies have shown that across the same distances, riders reach their destinations up to 20 percent faster than those using automobiles. Most motorcycles and scooters also consume less resources per kilometre than automobiles. “Riding to work on this day is fun and highlights value of motorcycling. Riding is a form of personal mobility that saves energy, helps the environment and provides a broad range of public benefits.
If you are unable to ride your motorcycle or scooter on this day we would encourage you to take your motorcycle helmet to work to show others that riders are just regular people who deserve consideration on our roads.