MRAWA Safety Report November 2019 by Steve Fish
- Current Road toll stats – 146, up from 126 same time last year – 30 motorcyclists, 13 pedestrians and 1 cyclist.
Motorcyclists represent 6% of registered vehicles in Western Australia yet we are 21% of road fatalities.
We need to lobby harder and louder to raise awareness of this and get more action from the positive action from the government to address motorcycle safety.
- Attended the Vulnerable Road Users Advisory Group meeting on 12 November.
Parik Lumb from the Road safety Commission on the recent Road Safety Community Forums and the process of how the Road Safety Strategy will develop in 2020
Janine Nicholas from Rider Down on First Aid for Motorcyclists
Dave Wright on the Australasian Road Safety Conference
Iain Cameron Chair of the Road Safety Council updated the group on the Road Safety Strategy.
- Shared recent posts from the Motor Cycle Council of New South Wales and South Australia Road Safety Ads from South Australia Police on our Facebook page.
- Check out the Hazard Perception Test Simulator for motorcycles on https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/step-3-complete-hazard-perception-test.asp
- Research from the School of Psychology at the University of Nottingham suggests drivers see motorbikes however forget by the time they pull out. The new campaign, See Bike, Say Bike aims to address this – https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Policy-and-Engagement/Documents/See-bike-say-bike.pdf